The Lamont Health Care Centre has a long and proud history of health care in the community. Beginning with the first pioneer doctor serving a far-flung population of immigrants and settlers, to the current state-of-the-art medical care centre, Lamont has been a leader in progressive medical care. The story of the Lamont Health Care Centre can be found in two books written and available through the website, and in the 66-foot long mural along the main hall of the hospital facility.
Highlights of our History:
1901 First physician arrived
1912 First hospital built — Lamont Public Hospital
1912 School of Nursing established and operated until 1972, graduated 595 nurses.
1950 Hospital renamed Archer Memorial Hospital in memory of Dr. A.E. Archer
1964 Lamont-Smoky Lake Auxiliary Hospital built on property
1972 Lamont Nursing Home built
1992 Amalgamation of all facilities — name change to Lamont Health Care Centre
1995 Fire destroyed Acute Care and Extended Care
1998 Morley Young Manor Assisted Living Complex phase 1 built.
1999 Construction of new Lamont Health Care Centre facility completed. Leasing space to Lamont Health Unit and Medical Clinics
2004 Completion of second phase of Morley Young Manor Assisted Living Complex
2011 Completion of third phase of Morley Young Manor Assisted Living Complex, Official Opening of Healing and Meditation Garden